Sewing kits foster independence rather than dependence. Women can make clothing in their own size and in the style of their culture. Cottage industries often grow out of the sewing classes where women use these kits to practice valuable income-generating skills.
Sewing Kit Value: $18 per kit
Sewing Kit Materials
- 3 continuous yards of fabric
- Cotton or cotton blend only;
- No heavy duty, corduroy, knit, etc. please;
- No patriotic, religious, holiday, camouflage, or military patterned fabric please.
- 1 package needles
- Hand needles in original packaging only.
- 1 spool thread
- Medium to large spool;
- No travel kit thread please.
- 5-8 buttons
- 5/8-inch size or larger;
- No loose buttons;
- Leave buttons in original packaging or fasten all together.
- 1 plastic bag
- One-gallon size sealable bags only.
Place kit in the plastic bag and seal.
- All items must be new.
- Do not wash the fabric as it will then be considered used.
- All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items, nothing more.
- Do not include any personal notes, money, or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.